What happens to me if I withhold my tax on principle or in protest?

Questions people may have about COMT, and people's thoughts on answers
Simon

What happens to me if I withhold my tax on principle or in protest?

Post by Simon »

If I don't want the government to spend money on something such as fracking, abortion, new oil fields or war and decide to not pay my tax, what will happen?

Surely they will take it anyway through PAYE or my tax code, or I'll get into trouble through the courts?
Monica-Conscience

Re: What happens to me if I withhold my tax on principle or in protest?

Post by Monica-Conscience »

My impression is that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will always try to get their money, preferably as easily as they can. So if you are paying income tax under PAYE they may amend your tax code. But I'm not a lawyer and there are no doubt a range of approaches they may take. They probably will want to avoid actions - such as taking people to court - which might result in publicity for the issue.
Long ago, in 2003, Conscience published a booklet "my conscience directs me not to pay for war" which addressed how to avoid contributing to the military, diverting or withholding taxes and the consequences. It may still be useful, though inevitably out of date.
Karen

Re: What happens to me if I withhold my tax on principle or in protest?

Post by Karen »

On the Conscience website we have a page on 'War Tax Resistance': https://conscienceonline.org.uk/about/w ... esistance/

Part-way down the page are the following sections:

- Can I avoid contributing to the military?
- Withholding tax
- Diverting taxes
- What are the legal consequences of diverting or withholding taxes?

There is also a copy of the letter sent by long-time war tax resister Robin Brookes to the Inland Revenue in 2021.